Sunday, December 11, 2011

Okanagan Winery Tour

This fall I was fortunate enough to go on not one, but TWO winery tours in the BC Okanagon Valley. The first trip was with Marc and his parents, and I had such a good time, and with so many more wineries to see, I went again with my step mom. Each time we stayed in Penticton which is right in the middle of the action. It's about half-way between Oliver and Kelowna and acts as a great home-base.

Between the two trips I went to a LOT of wineries, although as a rule, we only visited wineries with free tastings. I've listed the ones I've been to below along with our rating system. The "host" score takes into consideration not only the personality of the host, but also the general feel of the tasking room/ experience/ vineyard.  The second score is exclusively for the taste of the wine. The scores were derived by group consensus.  If I bought wine it is because a) we got to taste it, and b) I really really liked it. I would therefor recommend any and all the wines that I've listed here. Click on the winery name to visit their website. If you know anyone considering an Okanogan Wine Tour - send them to this blog post.

Also, as a result of buying so much wine -Marc and I drink a lot more wine these days. It's great!

5 stars for host, and 5 stars for wine (beautiful view and great prices)
I bought a few of the 1st Crush White and Rosé

4 stars for host, and 3 stars for wine (a bit pretentious to mention their helicopter pad over and over – but beautiful location)

Castoro de Oro (formally known as “Golden Beaver”) 
5 stars for host, and 4 stars for wine (great name – that is why we went...although apparently the wine community doesn’t have a great sense of humour – so they fancied it up)
 I bought their white blend

4 stars for the host, and 3.5 for the wine (2nd time I went was much better. It’s a big production in there –but worth stopping in)

 4.5 stars for host and for wine (great patio)
I bought their Cassis in order to make Kir

3 stars for the  host and for the (fruit-based) wine (pretty sugary)

3 stars for the host, and 4 for the wine (large samples and good prices – surprising for big player)
I bought several from Latitude 50 series (white and rosé)

Heaven’s Gate
3 stars for host, and 3.5 for wine (very new winery in beautiful log-home style building)
I bought the Rosé

4.5 stars for the host and for the wine (organic wines at reasonable prices, great couple)
  I bought the Pinot Gris

  4.5 stars for the host, 1.5 for wine (neat 20s theme – with peep hole on door)

4 stars for host and for wine (nice property and bathrooms)
I bought the Pinot Blanc

We didn’t sample (but as always, the grounds are something to see, and the bathrooms were great).  I would always recommend the family owned/ boutique/ local wineries over this giant.

5 stars for wine and for host (great prices, get to sample with cheese, name based on Ogopogo)
     I bought several of Manmade White, Red Eyed, and Rosé

0 stars for host and for wine (tasting was inside of fruit-stand and apple cider tasked skunked.  Gross)

3 stars for host, 1.5 star for wine (thought the name was neat – wine was not so neat)

  5 stars for host, and 4.5 stars for wine (cute scruffy dog and lovely soulful host)
I bought Sauvignon Blanc

 3.5 stars for host and for wine (beautiful tasting room with view – although we liked their Monster Line much better)

 4 stars for host and for wine (spectacular view from tasting room, only 2 tastes – but sizeable)

4.5 stars for host and 3.5 for wine (in a castle which was strange)
I bought the Rosé

3 stars for host, and 3.5 for the wine (fruit based wine, really nice homey tasting room)

 5 stars for host, and 4 for wine (right at the start of both tours - a magnificent way to start!)
I bought several of their nice dry Pinot Rosé

4.5 stars for host, and 3 for wine (only 2 samples, but they were large – also they have an interesting “dog theme here”)

5 stars for host, and 4 for wine (lots to sample including cheese and pretzels, host has great 1-liners and the roses  gardens are magnificent. Always worth a visit)

3 stars for host and 3.5 for wine (lots of interesting flavours: all fruit based – it’s connected to Summerland Sweets)
 I bought Summerland Jam

3 stars for host and 4 for wine (poor host had awful tooth-ache, but did a great job nonetheless)

St. Laszlo
2.5 stars for host, and -4 for wine (very dumpy little tasting room, host was willing to offer lots of samples  - but they were terrible. It was awkward)

4 stars for host, and 4.5 for the wine (small but classy place)
   I bought the Chorus and the Duet

3 stars for host and 3.5 for wine (one of the many with a Mediterranean style construction)
I bought the Chardonnay

 5 stars for host, and 4.5 for the wine (the Queen was served their wine during one of her Canadian tours)
I bought the Syrah

4.5 stars for host, and 4.5 for the wine (vast and empty tasting room, but great prices on certain wines)
   I bought the Gamay




No comments:

Post a Comment