Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mes Vacances Françaises – Première Partie: Suisse (b)

(I think I reached a word/space limit -and so here is the next section of part 1...please scroll down to read part 1 first)

The grocery stores offered an overwhelming selection of chocolates, not to mention horse meat (imported from, yes, you’ll never guess it – CANADA), and strange glazed  prepared sandwiches.





We had a traditional Raclette dinner (melted cheese over sliced baked potatoes, with meats and pickles – amazing!).

My time in Lausanne was too short, as I would have loved to spend more time with Julia and Rob in their magnificent surroundings, but I do feel good about having hit the traditional local must-sees. In only a few short days, I had also had taste-tested a good handful of different chocolate milks and chocolate croissants.  A+ all around. (Oh yes, speaking of A+, we got talking about blood-type diets, and after doing a little googling, decided that we would pick and choose elements of the suggested diets according to our tastes. I (blood-type A+) am certainly not prepared to give up milk, cheese, and red meat, and Julia and Rob (blood-type O) weren’t really convinced to give up beans and lentils. It’s an interesting idea – but until chocolate milk makes me feel sick instead of fantastic – pass it on over!


My train back to Paris meant an early-morning goodbye to my generous and cherished friends, and my last walk down the hill. Salut Lausanne – until we meet again.


On the train I sat next to a delightful French Swiss woman from whom I learned quite a bit more about Suisse. She told me about the struggles of language education as experienced by her grandchildren (the polarized nature of multiple national languages and diminishing existence of oral local dialects), and then I heard it first hand, as a family with 4 children under 5 sat right in front of us. Those curly-haired blonde little cuties spoke a full-on mix of French and German. Super cool!

A bientôt – Gros bisous!

No comments:

Post a Comment